The IRS announced that the starting date for when it would accept and process 2022 tax-year returns was Monday, January 23, 2023.
Tips for making filing easier
To speed refunds and help with tax filing, the IRS suggests the following:
- Make sure you have received Form W-2 and other earnings information, such as Form 1099, from employers and payers. The dates for furnishing such information to recipients vary by form, but they are generally not required before February 1, 2023. You may need to allow additional time for mail delivery.
- Go to irs.gov to find the federal individual income tax returns, Form 1040 and Form 1040-SR (available for seniors born before January 2, 1958), and their instructions.
- File electronically and use direct deposit.
- Check irs.gov for the latest tax information.
Key filing dates
Here are several important dates to keep in mind:
- January 13. IRS Free File opened. Free File allows you to file your federal income tax return for free [if your adjusted gross income (AGI) is $73,000 or less] using tax preparation and filing software. You can use Free File Fillable Forms even if your AGI exceeds $73,000 (these forms were not available until January 23). You could file with an IRS Free File partner (tax returns could not be transmitted to the IRS before January 23). Tax software companies may have accepted tax filings in advance.
- January 23. IRS began accepting and processing individual tax returns.
- April 18. Deadline for filing 2022 tax returns (or requesting an extension) for most taxpayers.
- October 16. Deadline to file for those who requested an extension on their 2022 tax returns.
Awaiting processing of previous tax return?
The IRS is attempting to reduce the inventory of prior-year income tax returns that have not been fully processed due to pandemic-related delays. Taxpayers do not need to wait for their 2021 return to be fully processed to file their 2022 return.
The IRS encourages taxpayers seeking a tax refund to file their tax return as soon as possible. The IRS anticipates most tax refunds being issued within 21 days of the IRS receiving a tax return if the return is filed electronically, any tax refund is delivered through direct deposit, and there are no issues with the tax return. To avoid delays in processing, the IRS encourages people to avoid paper tax returns whenever possible.
Broadridge Investor Communication Solutions, Inc. Copyright 2023
This content is provided by Windward Private Wealth Management Inc. (“Windward” or the “Firm”) for informational purposes only. Investing involves the risk of loss and investors should be prepared to bear potential losses. No portion of this blog is to be construed as a solicitation to buy or sell a security or the provision of personalized investment, tax or legal advice. Certain information contained in the individual blog posts will be derived from sources that Windward believes to be reliable; however, the Firm does not guarantee the accuracy or timeliness of such information and assumes no liability for any resulting damages.
Windward is an SEC registered investment adviser. The Firm may only provide services in those states in which it is notice filed or qualifies for a corresponding exemption from such requirements. For information about Windward’s registration status and business operations, please consult the Firm’s Form ADV disclosure documents, the most recent versions of which are available on the SEC’s Investment Adviser Public Disclosure website at www.adviserinfo.sec.gov.